Tuesday, June 19, 2007

My Parents

I don't have any fun pictures or stories to tell about Fathers day this year because they took a motorcycle bike ride with a big group of people out of town and didn't return till late Monday night. So instead of having a dinner or anything i just called him (like many other kids did) and it turns out that my dad was SO happy that both my brother and I called him to tell him Happy Fathers Day. I got a card for him but i did not give it to him because i found out that the phone call was ALL he wanted! So i sat down and made a list of what my parents have taught me over my life time ( which is only 24 years). Even though my dad was not around a lot when i was growing up because he was working graveyard and sleeping during the day- he always found time to teach me lessons, like when i would "forget" to bring the garbage can up after garbage day. He let me know about it. But Both of my parents were great parents and I could never ask for anything better! They both equally raised us with good morals and thoughts to live by in life. Here is a list of just a FEW things i have come up with:

  • How to be independent- I should never relay on a guy to take care of me or to get me what i want. I can do it myself (which I did)
  • Never believe everything you hear- guys will say whatever they think you want to hear to get what they want (this came from my dad). Also along with that was not to be gullible, so I'm so much the opposite i drive people crazy because i can never believe what they say!
  • always have a savings account, put at least 50% of what you make into a bank- you never know when something will come up that you will need money for.
  • being sunburn isn't always a bad thing
  • love is WAY more important than money. a nice car or house will not save a marriage, but love will
  • its OK to be yourself and not someone somebody else wants you to be. If they don't like it, they don't have to be your friend
  • Trust- You will always have my trust till you give me a reason to loose it, than you may never get it back. it will take a long time and lots of work to get it back
  • the meaning of Family and Love
  • How its OK to think for myself and not just go with what everyone else believes- Beliefs, Religion, life
  • you have to work hard to get what you want- calling in sick will not get a paycheck, not going to school will not get you a diploma
  • being nice always gets you further than being mean
  • working hard will get you further in a job that sucking up to the boss
  • EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON!!!


Like i said this is just a short list that i came up with in a few minutes- but i think every single one of them is equally important and I live my life to them every day. i have learned so much from them!

What is something your parents taught you that you are glad they did? Anything stick out in your mind that you keep repeating over and over?

Thanks Mom and Dad! I love you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great list! Thanks for sharing!

Jen

SoCalSingleMama said...

Love the list, Amy. My parents taught me that love is the most important thing, too - better than money and things. :-) It's true, too - my relationships (whether friends or family or husband) are way better than anything I can get at the store!